Thursday, October 2, 2014

Royal Dreams



I hung out with royalty yesterday. I drove to International Academy of Hair Design in Fiesta Mall in Mesa, Arizona and took pictures of five models while they prepared for two television segments on KPNX TV’s midday show. Two models, sisters Bianca and Demi (pictured below) were showcasing “Princess Hair” and three additional models were modeling hairdos that work great for homecoming.  Brittany Montoya, one of the school’s instructors, was the spokesperson.


IAHD is one of my clients. One of my favorite parts of being a public relations professional is getting them booked on television shows. Yesterday was particularly awesome because we had two segments. I love hanging out on the set and watching the monitors, teleprompters and cameras in action. If I weren’t on a diet I would have enjoyed the cooking show more too (the eating part, not the food preparation.) Whether it is breaking news, lifestyle stuff like how to whiten your teeth or how to host a tailgate party, it seems that every time I go to the station I learn something new. 

Last year, my granddaughter, Rosannah was the princess model for a segment on princess hair. 



Both she and her sister, Briannah were more than willing to be honorary princesses, but since they are now in school (as opposed to preschool) I thought it best to pass the honor to someone else. Little Demi added her own flair by wearing cowboy boots. I’m not sure I’ve seen a princess in cowboy boots, but I liked her spunk. Her older sister, Bianca, told me her younger sibling said, “I do my own clothes.” You have to admire that attitude.

I am a product of the “television generation” and also grew up watching all the Disney movies. Unlike, my granddaughters, I never envisioned myself a princess. My favorite movie was Bambi. I may have dreamed of living in a forest, but I can’t say I ever wanted to be a deer. Princesses like Sleeping Beauty and Snow White just seemed a bit out of my league.

However, television is still a magical media for me, as are movies. However, my dream has always been writing the stories, creating the characters and envisioning the sets. Ironically, one of my latest projects, a sitcom pilot called, Fish out of Water, has its own princess of sorts. It’s a story about a lesbian power couple who are forced to move from glamorous and sunny Beverly Hills to soggy and self-reliant Port Angeles, Washington.


My main character, Stephanie Fisher, is the epitome of the American princess. She is portrayed by Viva Valdez (above) as she preps for the vomit scene. Viva is a truly talented comedic actress. You will definitely see her name up in lights in the future.

Stephanie has three glamorous careers as a model, interior designer and an image consultant. Her partner, Jessica Salmon, is a smart, kind and thoughtful orthopedic surgeon. Below is a picture of Jessica portrayed by my daughter, Brittany Robbins (who has no aspirations of becoming an actress and was simply helping her mother out.) However, Brit did an awesome job acting and helping me with a few comedy-writing scenes. Her sister, Alicia, did all the film editing and some filming (not to mention helping me get the whole project off to NBC.)


But when Stephanie has a huge career mishap that goes viral on youtube, the couple decide to head for the hills – or at least the Pacific Northwest.  I had already written the pilot, but when NBC Playground announced a sitcom contest I enlisted a bunch of friends and acquaintances to help me film a pitch and video sample.  You can view my pitch on youtube at



I sent off my application and samples in May. The semi-finalists were to be notified by Sept. 30. When the date arrived and I hadn’t heard a peep from the home of the peacock, I was a little sad. Other contestants were tweeting they knew some of the winners etc. But then two people wrote that NBC was postponing the announcement for another month. 

I felt a twinge of hope. Sure enough, the next day I had an email from NBC that due to the volume of contestants they needed more time to go over the entries. The new notification deadline is Oct. 31. 
They say it ain’t over until the fat lady sings and she is as silent as a mime. Woohoo. I guess silence is golden – at least for another month. Please send positive vibes my way.

While I never wanted to be a princess I DO want my character, Stephanie Fisher, a spoiled American princess, to live and thrive in the world of sitcom fantasy. She may have her faults, but Stephanie is a lot like a modern-day I Love Lucy. And I think all of us could use a few good belly laughs.
I’m a grandma now. I know I’ll never be a princess and it way too late to be crowned homecoming queen.  With my close-cropped locks I’ll never have an updo either (although I may check out my client’s  $40 homecoming package for cut, style, mani/pedi and makeup.) If you are interested check out their schools or visit  www.beautyschoolrocks.com
 
But if there is a fairy godmother from NBC Playground out there who can help turn my sitcom into a reality, that would truly be a dream come true.


No comments: